8 Wildfire Family And Home Safety Tips
With the lack of rain, dry air and wind the Texas Panhandle has been primed for wildfires.
The grassfire between Fritch and Sanford is still a major issue with only 35% of the fire contained.
Although we are never really prepared for a disaster like this, there are some tips you should know and have in place. This list comes from FLASH.
2. Follow any and all evacuation orders immediately.
3. Identify an emergency water supply within 1,000 feet of your home.
4. Remove fuels that can lead flames to your home or that can become ignited from windblown embers.
5. Clean your gutters, eaves and roof to make sure they are clean of debris.
6. Plant species that retain moisture and resist ignition.
7. Before a threat, landscape with fire resistant, native plant species that retain moisture and resist ignition.
8. Install metal screening that blocks embers from entering your building.
You can also reach out to the Amarillo American Red Cross to learn about taking some of their classes to help you be more prepared in case of some form of an emergency.
Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families and friends affected by this grassfire in Fritch and Sanford.